Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Me, circa 2007.

I just returned from a great networking dinner (thanks, ladies of NAWMBA!) and was inspired to dig up old resumes/cover letters/writing samples in the hope of finally getting my career search organized. Instead, I discovered this essay, which I wrote in 2007.

At the time, I was working in television (fun fact!) and wasn't satisfied with my career. I was disillusioned, disappointed, and unsure about what to do next. To make a (very) long story short, I eventually got out of that rut by joining the Obama campaign, which started an entirely new chapter of my life. But that's for another post.

I'm sharing this random relic of my past because it remains surprisingly relevant. While I'm infinitely more happy at business school than I was in 2007, I still don't have it all figured out. What will I be when I grow up? Where can I make the biggest impact? Will the career I choose be the right one? I wrestled with these same questions tonight.

So, will I ever figure it out? I'm not sure. But maybe that's the point. Maybe it's the not knowing that keeps me going...

In my current career, I feel like a professional bystander. Lamenting the occurrence of another avoidable tragedy, I search for answers and seek other compassionate citizens. Ultimately, however, I am a peripheral figure. While others work in soup kitchens, I spew facts and figures on poverty. While others lobby for adequate insurance coverage, I look for generic video of people in hospitals. And while others sponsor drives for school supplies, I search for President’s most recent quote on education. This role is not just frustrating, it is also unfulfilling. 

I pursued television news because I wanted to effect change. Providing people with the resources to make informed decisions seemed like a noble calling. For many, it remains so. For someone desperate to join the front lines of public service, however, simply bearing witness to social problems doesn’t suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment