Monday, September 26, 2011

Oh, the places you'll go!

Greetings from a glorious Second Year! I'm so sorry that it has taken me a while to post something - who knew that my SY schedule would be just as chaotic as it was a year ago!? Me neither. I thought that b-school seniority was synonymous with lazy afternoons, long lunches, and poolside study sessions. Not so, my colorful Outlook calendar reminds me!

But, have no fear, there is good news to report. Although I am still the busy-bee-b-school student that I have always been, my life is considerably less stressful than it's ever been at Darden. No, the case method is not a just a cruel form of initiation to which we only subject the FYs; SYs still have to read, prepare, and wrestle with cases. And yes, I am still finding ways of over-involving myself in all possible extra-curricular activities. So...what's changed?

Well, two things. First, we all survived FY with limited injuries (and those that did occur were inflicted during all too aggressive flag football games). There were times last year when a lot of us wondered if making it to May 2011 was even possible. Now that the milestone is behind us, we feel like a burden has been lifted. Second, we also see the finish line, which is only a few short months away. For fear that this delightful slice of life might actually pass us by, many of us are buckling down and trying to embrace the parts of the Darden experience that we overlooked last year (think: less time in Learning Team rooms, more time in vineyards).

Which brings me to the best part of any blog post...the pictures! Here's a small sampling of what I've been up to for the past few weeks and my attempt to savor every last bit of my time in Cville. ENJOY! I know I did.

I made a 3-course meal with delicious, seasonal ingredients! Yum.

I attended a Harvest Feast at a local vineyard...and we ate at a communal table in the barrel room (read: tough to beat).

I stopped at a local store for autumnal-inspired housewares...and proceeded to spend way too much on pumpkins.

I went on a wine tour! I hope this is the first of many...

I competed in the 25-mile Boys & Girls Cycle Challenge, even though I had never been on a road bike in my life. (Update: I survived. So did the bike.)

I hiked Humpback Rocks! Granted, the weather didn't really cooperate, but that didn't stop me from channeling my inner mountain woman on a Saturday morning (note to self: check weather before embarking on a extraordinarily scenic hike).

1 comment:

  1. My first hike at Humpback, I had the same view... Go back when the leaves have changed and the sun is shining. :-)

    ReplyDelete