I've finished exams, over-indulged in holiday treats, and tackled my exploding laundry basket. December must be here! Now that I have a moment to think, I wanted to list a few of my favorite (little) things about Darden that sometimes get overlooked. Here they are, in no particular order...
- The constant supply of free coffee: It might have triggered a lifelong caffeine addition, but it's also the reason why I was able to stay awake in all of my classes....I think. Thank you, First Coffee!
- Oddball section traditions: Ever heard of the "birthday shirt"? Or banging on desks/walls/any other available surface for the sake of it? Or a highly coveted stuffed bird that can spark section warfare? Or non sequitur comments in the middle of class? (That last one isn't actually a tradition, but it happens so much that it should be...). Each of our sections has its own set of norms, customs, and quirks, which define our first four months at school and ensure that there is never a dull moment in class.
- Prom: You heard right! Hooray for reverting back to high school in your late twenties. I recommend that everyone try it at some point. It's just as fun as it was ten years ago, but it's much less awkward.
- Learning Team dynamics: It's "Modern Family" + discounted cash flows + overstressed business school students (read: pure entertainment). And, if we're lucky, our confusion will be punctured by fleeting moments of brilliance.
- Professors who deserve standing ovations: Literally (we gave our Accounting professor one on our last day of class). They take you on the wildest and craziest intellectual ride of your life, all while never giving you the answer. If you're cold called, it's totally frightening. Otherwise, it's totally awesome.
- Darden Cup: Even if you don't have an athletic bone in your body, you can enjoy flag football, free food, and fiery section competition.
- Unproductive library sessions that devolve into conversations about life: Who needs cases when you can spend hours getting to hear all of the neat things your classmates did in their former lives? My point exactly.
- Events that involve international food: I still don't know how to operate a George Foreman grill, let alone whip up a culinary creation that puts Rachel Ray to shame. But apparently I'm in the minority. Some of my classmates can make the most delicious delights, and I get to reap the benefits of their champion cooking skills. Yum!
- The feeling of being done with exams: This deserves no explanation. My sigh of relief speaks for itself.
- Spring Break 2k11: In keeping with the "reliving high school" theme, Spring Break is a huge perk of returning to student life. But it's out with the old (Panama City), and in with the new (Barcelona, here I come!). This year, many of us are traveling abroad to take week-long classes on subjects like business design, entrepreneurship, and sustainability. Sign me up!
Sold yet? Hope so. If not, I'll be sure to think of some more goodies over break... Until then, happy holidays!
No comments:
Post a Comment